Mamod SE2
The mamod SE2 is a bit larger version of the SE1, it got a whistle, which the SE1 doesn't have and the boiler is a bit bigger. This SE2 is the first flatbase Mamod engine I got, and at the time of writing the oldest engine in my collection. This is the 1950 version of the SE2, which can be seen by the larger engine frame, and the brass spoked flywheel.

This is what the engine looked like when I got it:
Flatbase Mamod SE2 - 1950
Flatbase Mamod SE2 - 1950

There where some things that where tampered with, like the extended throttle gear, the missing union not, and a bolt in the end of the cylinder. It was missing some paint, but overall looked not too bad. The engine is in working condition, but needs some new washers.

I got the box with the engine, but there's not much left of it:
SE2 box
SE2 box

 
Update 22-10-2006
After about two months I finaly finished the restoration of this engine. I took the engine completely appart, which revealed quite some dirt:


The paintwork wasn't looking very nice either:

So idecided to give the baseplate and firebox a repaint. It didn't have any decal anymore, so there wasn't too much to loose (although there are some different visions about repainting old engines on the net)

During the restoration of this engine, I ran into some problems. There where a lot of parts that where tampered with, like a soldered ring onto the piston:

And there where some ring soldered onto the engine frame:

Or at lease I thought they where soldered on. It tunred out that they where soldered through the frame, and that someone drilled out the holes in the frame to fit them. Removing the rings would leave too big holes, and keeping them didn't look very nice either. Luckily mamodman could provide me with a excelent replacemanet frame (as well as a cylinder and a union nut.)
 
Update 25-01-2010

I recently gave this engine a re-restoration. I already fully restored it, but  there where still a few things to be done. Since it was my first flatbase Mamod by the time I bought it,  I didn't even know that the throttle lever and whistle lever shouldn't be that long.


About a your ago I accidentally dropped the engine, there was no big damage to it, but there was some paint damage at the firebox corners:


Most people wouldn't bother, but being a bit of a perfectionist, it kept annoying me. So while I was painting another engines base red, I thought I'd do this one as well at the same time.


I also was able to repair the whistle, there was just a bit of pipe soldered over the original lever. The throttle lever was a bit more difficult, the extra piece there was welded onto it, so there was no way I could get that off.
Luckily I had a spare lying around, so that was also sorted easily.

After that, the engine now looks like this: