General information about model Bowman of Luton PW201

The bowman PW201 was together with the bowman PW202 the smallest Bowman of Luton enginge. The engines is a single cylinder oscilation engine and features a aluminium firebox.

Bowman of Luton PW201

I bought this engine on ebay at 15-04-2007 for only £18.00
It was very cheap because it didn't look very good, and it was bdaly described , the actual auction title was "LIVE STEAM SINGLE CYLINDER and BOILER"

When I received it, it looked quite sad, someone must have dropped something heavy on it



The firebox is crushed a bit, I'll have to see if I can straigten it out. Luckily all the pipework and the boiler are fine and steamtight.
Bowman of Luton PW201
Bowman of Luton PW201



Bowman of Luton PW201
Bowman of Luton PW201

 
Update 19-01-2008

It's been quite a while since I received this engine, but the restororation of it is finaly finished. First thing I did is disamble the whole engine, on the images below you can see how badly the firebox was damaged


You can also see that he firebox was riveted to the baseplate, so I had to drill those out to get it off.


The boiler was pretty dirty, but nothing some brasso couldn't get rid of


The first challeng was to get the firebox in good shape again. I wasn't sure if it was possible to get it right again, and thought that it would be a better idea to look for a spare one (although that would be a difficult task), but the metal of the firebox was quite soft alluminium (probably teh reason why this firebox was damaged in the first place), so I decided to first have a go at trying to straighten things out.

I took the firebox appart in three pieces, and placed them in a vice between two pieces of wood, the result was quite pleasing:


Pretty straight! so I continued with the front piece:


That one didn't turn out 100% straight, but good enough I thought.On the image below you can se the difference between the straightened out part and the part that still needs to be done


After all parts where straigh again, I reassambled the firebox, and sanded the pieces down for painting


I used VHT brake caliper paint on this one, it should be able to withstand high temperatures and is glosy (unlike the matt black paint I used on engines before). After painting it looked like this:


With the firebox in good shape again, I had the most difficult part of this restoration finished, and it was a lot easyer that I thought. With that done, I started polishing the boiler. I decided to desolder the steam pipe that goes to the cylinder, since it was already resoldered by someone else before, and it would make polishing and painting easier (or so I thought...). After some polishing, the boiler looked like this:


Quite a diference to what I started with. What still was bothering me about this restoration was that I was missing both the burner and the chimney, so when another bad looking PW201 showed up on ebay, I didn't had to think very long and I bought it too. When it arrived it was a poor looking thing:


Thick layers of red paint everywhere, nasty dents in the boiler (I even suspect it to have ben soldered open totaly, and cutted into a sheet from below once) and even dents in the baseplate, the baseplate also had more holes than it should have. I was happy that I only bought it for spares,  restoring this engine wouldn't have been fun. 


Now that I had that engne, it was time for some more painting. Since I wasn't sure about what to do with the spare parts from the second machine, I decided to paint them as well, so that I could later pick out the best parts.


It took me some time to get the right kind of paint for this eninge,I ended up using "camouflage green", which is a pretty close match (not 100% though) After the baseplates it was time for the small parts:


Funny detail is that with two idenical engines, the pipework was made from diferend materials. And here thay are in the right color again:


All that was now left to do was reassamble it again. The most dificult part was soldering the steam pipe onto the boiler again, I couldn't get it right without burning the paint on the pipe, but after some attempt finaly got it in:
Soldered in pipe
Soldered in pipe

As you can see, I've here already wraped the boiler to do some repainting, I also needed to redo some polishing, because the brass decoloured from the heat. When all that was done, the engine was finaly finished:
Finished engine
Finished engine

close up
close up

I'm very pleased with the result, one of the best resurections I've done so far. The parts of the second engine wend to one of the members of "The Unofficial Mamod and Other Steam Forum" who will hopefully make something nice of it again.