Mamod SP1
The Mamod SP1 was the first Mamod engine I bought. I bought it on the UK ebay, and had it shipped over to the Netherlands. I don't know what I've paid for it anymore. When I got it it was in quite poor condition:
Mamod SP1
Mamod SP1


There was also a very tatty box included, I will post a picture of it later. Although it was in very poor condition, it ran without problems (only a lot of smoke from the dirt on the boiler). I had no idea how to get this engine clean since it was the first one I had to restore, so I wend out to the store and bought Brasso, that worked like a miracle! I didn't expect that it would work so well, I cleaned up the boiler so it looked like it was brand new.

The baseplate almost didn't have any paint on it at all, So I decided to repaint it. I used red spray paint, wich made it look quite nice. It was later when I had some onther Mamods when I noticed it was a bit too dark red, I might redo the base plate some time.

I didn't touch the firebox, since I couldn't find any heat resistant black paint. After all this might have been a good choise, since the firebox is not looking that bad, and I now still have the original decal on it. After the cleaning and painting the engine now looks like this:
Mamod SP1 after clean & repaint
Mamod SP1 after clean & repaint


I'm quite pleased with how it looks now, only bad thing about it is the corroded flywheel (see first picture) but there's no easy way to replace it, so I'll probably keep it this way.
The engine came without burner, so I got a spare one on ebay, works ok, only the handle is getting very hot.
 
Update 09-07-2006

The SP1 got a repaint today to give it the right color. It now looks like this: